Saturday 19 May 2018








WHY THIS JOURNALIST WILL NOT BE COVERING THE ROYAL WEDDING




If you ask a foreigner to name something essentiallly English, many people will say the Royal Family. They make millions of tourist pounds a year and they are known around the world. And yet they (or rather their lives) are equally hated by people.

People are fed up of hearing about things they do that are no different to stuff anybody else does.

For example: a while ago Prince Louis was born. He was beautiful. But when he was due, the media were camped outside the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in London for at least a week before. She (Kate Windsor) was having a baby. Something women do every day of the damn week. It's nothing special and is nothing surprising. A lot of women do it. 

And tomorrow - on the 19th of May Prince Harry marries Meghan Markle. An actress who under the the old rules would never have been allowed to be a part of the Monarchy. Firstly, she is American, and secondly she is a divorcee. Yes, okay, so was Camilla, but at least she was English. You remember Prince Edward and Wallis Simpson. Yeah, exactly. They weren't allowed to marry, so why the hell should Harry and Meghan? I'm not saying I disapprove. I'm just making a fair point.

Anyway, the main point of this is that it's just two people getting married. That's all. People get married all the time. Even I did it. Their wedding is no more important than anyone else's. They are tying the knot. And yet press people are under the illusion that we do care and my timeline has been full of it ever since the damn wedding was announced.

Well, I am not interested and to be honest, I'm fed up of the whole damn thing. They are just getting married, just like hundreds of couples do in a year. I am not anti-royal, but I am anti-Royals-doing-stuff-that-is-usual-for-everyone-else-on-the-planet. 

So you got married and had kids? Yeah and so does everyone else. When this whole (to quote Martin Bell) 'Comprehensive Rubbish and Palava' is on TV and Twitter tomorrow, I am going to take the advice of a TV show I used to watch as a  kid:

"Why don't you switch off your TV and go and do something less boring instead?"


Here Jay Foreman sings what I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_94807D3GQ






No comments:

Post a Comment